Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Metamorphosis

All I really wanted to do after Sunday's half marathon was cocoon. Although mother nature was on board serving up a perfect weather day, the run did not go my way. I am well aware of the importance of eating right the day before, and the even more important mental preparation needed for such an event. This time I beat myself before I started. After months of prep work I did everything wrong the week of. Strike number one - I tapered way too early and then enjoyed a prerace week of luxury which included night time snacking. Strike number two - I had a very busy Saturday with not much water intake. Strike number three - A horrible sleep the night before. Then after I had already struck out - Up early with a breakfast that didn't sit well. Packing my running belt with different fuel then I had used all through training. All the "what not to dos" that a veteran runner should know not to do.
I was excited to be doing the run with three of my sisters and was stoked for a fun event. I started out at a good pace and managed to keep it up for most of the race. I was on track for a 1:55 time, just before mile 11, I checked my time and it was 1:38....of course things don't always go as planned and just after the marker I felt a twinge in my ankle. It felt like I rolled my ankle even though I hadn't. I couldn't run on it as it was too painful. I walked for a bit but it just hurt more. I walked to a bench and tried to stretch it out. It just ached. I stretched it for a few minutes more, watching as runners past me, avoiding the eyes of the small groups of spectators gathered along the seawall. Volunteers asked if I was okay and I nodded and kept walking, hobbling really. As I shuffled up the hill widely discouraged as my under 2 hour goal slipped through my fingers, I felt a soft rub on my shoulder as my sister ran up behind me and said in my ear come on Kath, run with me....I told her I couldn't and to keep going. I watched her run strong up the hill and turn down heading to the finish line. I knew I couldn't walk the rest of the way. It would take forever. So I just started running. I ran hard till the end. I had never before felt the feeling of "bonking" during a long run. But here it was. Finishing well over my two hour goal. But finishing.
I told you a few weeks ago that I was becoming different..I was referring to my dedication to my training and to myself. It had been awhile since I had committed to a goal and I was proud that I was finally getting back in a goal oriented frame of mind. So I hope that explains my disappointment in Sundays run.
But sometimes in order to become diffferent we have to cocoon for a bit. Regroup. Rebuild. Retreat.
So I have taken my days of rest. Taken care of my injury by icing and elevating. I will slowly emerge and restart my training. I will learn from my mistakes and make my prerace diet and mental preparation a priority for my next run.
You can see from the above picture that the best part of the day was enjoying some sibling time over good coffee and delicious crepes. So definitely not all bad. :)




3 comments:

  1. great post. Good to look back on a race and take from it what you need and then move on. For a runner there's always another race around the corner even if at the moment we dont' think there will be! Had a great morning with you guys when you're ready for another training run let me know
    hil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, this is a wonderful post -- so wise of you to be able to mine your disappointment for some ways to improve your next run. That's much of what I've learned from running, even more than the other aspects of discipline it gives me.
    I've also been cocooning this week, that and coughing! And I've also been trying to figure out if I'll ever get below 2 hours for a Half -- I'm working with a way older running body than yours!
    Loved spending the morning with you three -- let's do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, girl!! - you and your biggest sister are very inspiring. And actually, I've also been inspired over the years by Hilary's grit and determination in working towards her running goals. It's a beautiful thing to be able to run and to set goals that challenge us, isn't it? By the way, I'm signing up for the Vancouver 1/2 in May if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete