Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Becoming Different

The name for this blog came to me on one of those "moments of clarity" I  get when I run.  Often I will have ideas that run through my mind as my feet run their paces.  During my first  Marathon I planned an entire coffee shop/running business with my running partner that had us serving up lattes at the Runners Lounge.....:)....ah yes...moments of clarity, brilliant ideas but not often the gumption or dollars to bring the ideas to fruition.
When I came up with the name of the blog I was thinking about how much I enjoy running from home.  Often as runners we drive to our take off point and for the longest time now I have done almost all of my training at Burnaby Lake.  It is by far my favourite place to run.  The routes are straight forward, you can go short or long, and the scenery is spectacular no matter what the weather.
Since moving to the Moody Park area of New Westminster though, I find myself just wanting to run from home.  I love running through Queens Park and around the neighbourhoods.  There are some terrific hills for hill repeats and lots of scenic views of the Fraser River and the mountains. 
I enjoyed an awesome run with my sisters the other day.  We ran from the top of McBride Boulevard in New Westminster to Bonsor Recreation Complex in Burnaby and back. Covering just over 10.75 miles of terrain we were all feeling pretty good about our upcoming Half Marathon on February 13th.  Running from home has some added perks when you are a New Westminsterite....if you run down one of the royal streets of New West...you will happen upon a "thought of the day". Lovingly written in chalk on a blackboard hung for the perusal of passersby, a daily motivator for those of us who are enamoured of the written word.  The quote written couldn't have come at a better time for those of us becoming different.
Not sure if you can make it out but it says...
 “If you want things to be different, perhaps the answer is to become different yourself..” - Norman Vincent Peale
Tomorrow a little bit more about how I am becoming different myself...
Blaze a Trail...

3 comments:

  1. oh, how I wish I could run with you guys -- and besides the company, you even get messages to keep you going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great run and post, it was great running with you again Kathy and the starbucks at the end is always welcome(not sure if you realized this is the laportes old house)next time we'll run by the millionaire hoarder

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great run - loved how the rain managed to hold off until we were done. I love that message board too. Always something interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete